You must have sufficient and demonstrable financial resources to live and study in the United States. Your visa applications will most probably be strengthened if the financial resources come from relatives, employers or other institutional sponsors located in your country of origin.

If your parents are going to pay for your education, you should bring documentation that shows how your family gets their income. Bring a letter from your parents' employers stating what they do, how long they have been working in those organizations, and how much they earn.

When visa officials find information that is contradictory or ambiguous, they do not grant visas. If your family can only prove enough income to finance your stay in the United States, officials will suspect. In some cases, large sums of money in bank accounts weren´t sufficient proof of financial resources. When providing information about your bank accounts, ask the bank for a letter stating for how long the account has existed, and what your average balance has been. This should convince the visa officer that you and your family have a long and stable record in the bank.

The majority of student visa or exchange visitor visa applications are approved. The most common reason for denying an application is that the person requesting the visa has not shown the official that he is going to return to his country when he completes his studies in the United States. This rule is known as Section 214.b.

To determine your "intention to return" to your country, the visa officer will ask you a series of questions about your links to your country of origin and about your study plans. Once again, you must show the official that your family has the capacity to finance the first year of your planned stay in the United States and that you have realistic plans to finance the rest of your education.

You must have all the required forms with you, including I-20 or DS-2019, DS-160, and proof of payment of SEVIS fee. You must bring all the documents that demonstrate how you are going to pay for your education and why you are going to return to your country. Some examples of these documents are previous passports that show trips abroad, bank statements or salary receipts, family documents or studies.

If your visa is denied, you may be able to do something to reverse the situation, such as appealing the decision. In most cases, you must submit additional documentation wasn´t requested in the initial application. In some cases, the visa officer may request documentation such as proof of employment or ownership of a home or business. You must respond with the information requested.

An email or letter from your school in the United States to the embassy or consulate in your city that contains details about your abilities, and requesting reconsideration of the application, can help you succeed in the appeal. Letters must be addressed to the Chief of Nonimmigrant Visas (Head of Nonimmigrant Visas) of the consular post in question. Contact information is available on the US Department of State website at

Start Application

Why Our Customers Love Us

  • Live English and Spanish language 24/7 support
  • Full preparation for your one-on-one interview (including mock interview)
  • Secure encryption to submit and pay your application and services
  • Reviewed by immigration attorneys
  • Translation services
  • Step By Step, easy to understand processes
  • 98.7% Success Rate